Shopping cart

Friday 12 October 2012

Kukkutarma - The City of the Fighting Cocks




This painting pays tribute to what I consider the cradle of South Asian civilization – Indus Valley Civilisation. The Indus Valley Civilization is one of the world's earliest urban civilizations, along with its contemporaries, Mesopotamia and Egypt. Inhabitants of the ancient Indus river valley developed new techniques in Carnelian products, seal carving and metallurgy (copper, bronze, lead, and tin).

The painting is an abstract depiction of Pashupati, (believed to be the earliest known illustration of Lord Shiva) along with the emblem believed to translate into Kukkutarma, the city in which it was used as currency, the city which is currently known as Mohen-jo-daro (based in Pakistan)
I really enjoyed painting this one and had a lot of fun mucking around with the materials to give me different textures and effects. Lots of moulding paste and liberal use of rabbit skin glue gave me the different textures I needed to make it look(in my view!!!) like something arcane. I am quite pleased with this one.... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment